Variations on a Korean Folk Song
Eb Soprano Clarinet
Bb Soprano Clarinet I-II-III
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Contrabass Clarinet
Bb Trumpet I-II-III
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion (5-6 players), including:
- Bass Drum
- Cymbals (suspended)
- Gong (Tam-Tam)
- Snare Drum
- Temple Block
None discovered thus far.
Variations on a Korean Folk Song is based upon a folk tune that the composer learned while serving the U.S. Army in Seoul, Korea. The tune is known as “Arrirang.” In autumn 1966, for the Journal of Band Research, Chance said: “I became acquainted with the folk song while serving in Seoul, Korea, as a member of the Eighth U.S. Army Band in 1958-59. The tune is not as simple as it sounds, and my fascination with it during the intervening years led to its eventual use as the theme for this set of variations.”
- ABA/Ostwald Prize (1966)
- Audio CD: Edmonton Wind Ensemble (Charles Mackerras, conductor).
- Audio CD: Illinois State University Wind Symphony (Stephen Steele, conductor).
- Audio CD: Massachusetts Wind Orchestra (Malcolm Rowell, conductor).
- iTunes Link: Illinois State University Wind Symphony (Stephen Steele, conductor).
- Alabama: Class A
- Florida: V --- (The Florida Bandmasters Association denotes this as "significant literature.")
- North Carolina: V
- South Carolina: V
- Virginia: V
- Texas: IV
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- L.J. Alleman Middle School Symphonic Band (Joan Green, conductor) - 15 March 2013
- Sacramento Symphonic Winds (Les Lehr, conductor) - 28 October 2012
- Indianapolis Symphonic Band (David Shurger, guest conductor) - 1 May 2012
- Indiana Wind Symphony (Charles Conrad, conductor) - 26 February 2012
- Concordia University Wind Symphony [at Paso Robles, Calif.] (Richard R. Fischer, conductor) - 7 March 2011
- Bloomington North High School Symphonic Band (Stephen Pratt, conductor) - 19 January 2007 (IMEA Convention)
- High School Concert Band [Interlochen, Mich.] (Frederick Fennell, conductor) - 20 August 1982
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Blue Lake Overture (1971)
- Elegy (1972)
- Incantation and Dance (1960)
- Symphony No. 2 (1972)
- Variations on a Korean Folk Song (1967)
- Blocker, L., Cramer, R., Corporon, E. ,Lautzenheiser, T., Lisk, E., & Miles, R. (1996). Teaching music through performance in band (Volume One). Chicago, IL: Gia Publications.
- Cirone, Anthony J. (2008). On Musical Interpretation in Percussion Performance. Galesville, Md.: Meredith Music Publications. pp. 31–32.
- Fennell, Frederick. “John Barnes Chance: Variations on a Korean Folk Song.” BDGuide 4 (September-October 1989): 13–17. Reprinted in A Conductor’s Interpretive Analysis of Masterworks for Band. Galesville, Md.: Meredith Music Publications, 2008. pp. 53–57.
- The Ostwald Prize Archives