American Overture for Band
Bb Clarinet I-II-III-IV
Eb Alto Clarinet
Bb Bass Clarinet
Bb Contrabass Clarinet
Alto Saxophone I-II
Tenor Saxophone I-II
Cornet (in Bb) I-II-III-IV
Trumpet (in Bb) I-II
Horn in F I-II-III-IV
Percussion I-II-III-IV, including:
- Snare Drum
- Bass Drum
- Crash Cymbals
- Wood Block
See Fonder article below for errata from 1956 edition.
This work was composed for the United States Army Field Band while the composer was on the arranging staff for the group. The instrumentation of this work is based on the players in the Field Band. In 2003, at the request of the American Bandmaster's Association, a full score was developed by the composer in order to correct the previous versions of the work. An orchestral version of the work, done by Derry Wilson Ochoa, has been performed by the Indianapolis Symphony and Nashville Symphony.
- Florida:: VI
- New York: VI
- Texas: V
To submit a performance please join The Wind Repertory Project
- Ohlone Wind Orchestra (Tony Clements, conductor) - 14 October 2012
- Madison Wind Ensemble (Brian Vanderbloemen, conductor) - 18 March 2012
- Concordia University Wind Symphony [at Paso Robles, Calif.] (Richard R. Fischer, conductor) - 7 March 2011
- Omaha Symphonic Winds (William Hall, conductor) - 28 February 2010
Works for Winds by this Composer
- Fonder, Mark. “Joseph Wilcox Jenkins’s American Overture for Band: A Performance Guide.” The Instrumentalist 60/5 (December 2005): 30–32, 34,36, 87. Includes errata list for 1956 edition.
- Jenkins, JW (2003). American overture for band [full score]. Theodore Presser Company, King of Prussia, PA.